COVID-19 Response Plan June 2020
I, Shauna Coyle have drawn up this document to highlight the steps I have taken to ensure the health and safety of all my clients. I take my responsibility in relation to COVID-19 seriously and prioritise the health and safety of my clients and their families.
This document is organic and will be updated as and when necessary.
Summary of new protocols
• All clients will receive an email before treatment for a COVID-19 screening form. Treatment will not go ahead if this is not complete prior to the appointment. If there is any difficulty with this link, please contact me on 0876110194 or firstname.lastname@example.org
• This screening form will also act as a consent form to allowing your details to be shared if needed for contact tracing only.
• All clients agree to contact me if they become symptomatic within 14 days of attending our clinic or get a diagnosis of COVID-19.
• On arrival at the clinic please text me to let me know you have arrived and wait in your car until I come to greet you.
• Please be advised you will be required to wear a face mask while on site. You will be asked to sanitise your hands-on arrival in the clinic.
• You will be made aware of good hand hygiene and respiratory hygiene and have facilities to enable these practices.
• It will be necessary not to arrive more than 5 minutes before any appointment as the client cannot be permitted to enter prior to this.
• As client you will be also asked to attend by yourself, unless the client is a minor or vulnerable adult and in which case the guardian will also be required to go through the above process.
The following sections will cover key information and actions, which will be backed up by the checklists below. They are as follows:
Section 2: Risk Assessment (Health & Safety Statement)
Section 3: Increased Control Measures to manage COVID-19
Section 4: Induction & Training
Section 5: Dealing with a suspected case of COVID-19
Section 6: Cleaning & Disinfection
Section 7: Staff
2. Risk Assessment
The risk assessment for Holistic Health was developed through the Government BE Smart Program. This document identifies the risks and hazards for the business both in general and specific to COVID-19 and identifies the measures required to ensure the health & safety of both myself and my client. Please see attached Safety Statement developed for full details.
3. Increased Control Measures to Manage COVID-19
The planning and preparing phase is critical to ensure a safe return to work and covers such items as information and guidance, return-to-work forms, identifying and putting in place control measures and updating our safety statements, risk assessments and emergency plans. See Check List 1 for completed Check-sheet.
Up until 12th March 2020, I, Shauna Coyle operated out of the business. The main features of this business were:
• Appointments were booked for one client at a time, except for minors or vulnerable clients.
• A range of modalities were available including Systematic Kinesiology, BioKinesiology and Integrated Energy Therapy
• Appointments were booked with 15 min in-between each for cleaning and consolidation of treatment notes.
• Client clothing rested on chair and shoes on the floor for the duration of each appointment.
• Data collection was contact details, an initial medical history, consultation of what was needed on that day and treatment notes for the day.
• End of Day cleaning was carried out on all equipment and areas
Planning for reopening
• Therapy Room / Reception & Toilet Facilities have been deep cleaned before reopening.
• All equipment and surfaces were cleaned and sanitised.
• Risk assessment carried out and hazards identified / cleaning procedure developed with increased hygiene protocols due to COVID-19.
• New Pedal bins provided in spaces as required.
• Stocking of New PPE as required by our risk assessment.
• An Online payment facility is available.
All extra covers have been removed from the plinth – this is to ensure the bed surface can be cleaned and sanitised fully between clients
• Treatment rooms have been assessed to ensure all equipment can be sanitised readily between clients.
• All areas of the room will be prioritised for cleaning between clients.
• Placing of disposable tissues on the client to ensure no contact between the client, the therapist and vials or products.
• Vials and products are thoroughly cleaned between clients.
• Disposable tissue paper for each client will be placed on top of the plinth and disposed of appropriately
Cleaning & Hygiene
• Clients will be required to use provided hand sanitizer entering and leaving the building to minimise the risk of the spread of COVID-19
• All clients will be requested to wear a mask on entering the building and will be required to wear it for the duration of the appointment. This protocol aims to help minimise the risk of spread of COVID-19 and follows best practice guidelines for physical contact between therapist and client.
• Respect for social distancing rules on the premises and outside the clinic will be required.
• There will be a gap of 30 minutes now between appointments to ensure sufficient time for cleaning, sanitisation and ventilation.
• Areas such as door handles, light switches, toilet handles will be disinfected before & after each client. We recommend that opening of door is left to the therapist where feasible.
• Sanitiser will be available for use in the toilet.
• Clients are asked not to bring any unnecessary personal possessions and come ready for appointment.
• Therapist thoroughly wash and sanitise hands and don a fresh face mask just before greeting each client.
ALL Clients will be required to complete a COVID-19 declaration form before each appointment.
• Pen container will be provided, with clean sanitized pens and container for used pens. Used pens will be sanitized before re-use at end of day
• Client’s details will be shared with relevant authorities regarding contact tracing should an issue arise in the clinic.
• Clients are asked to contact the clinic if they should develop any symptoms relating to or tested positive for COVID-19 up to 14 days post attending the clinic.
Appointment Structure & Times / Numbers / Payment
• Clients are required to STAY HOME if feeling unwell.
• Clients are required to STAY HOME if they have answered ‘Yes’ to any of the questions in the triage phone consultation or in the Covid Questionnaire at the time or preceding the appointment. If the clinic is notified of this change and cancellation of the appointment, a new appointment will be arranged.
• All appointments are required to be paid via Bank link where possible to reduce the risk of spread of COVID-19.
• Appointment slots have been extended to allow for increased cleaning between clients and to ensure no contact between clients.
• Time slots have been staggered to ensure no contact between clients.
• All paperwork will be filed as per current GDPR guidelines and policy document
4. Induction & Training
The owner (Shauna Coyle) has undertaken the following training in preparation for re-opening
• Record of Achievement – Emerging Respiratory viruses, including Covid 19 – Methods for detection, prevention, response and control (WHO)
• Corona Virus Clinical Safety Course (International School of Aesthetics)
• Certificates available on request
Systems to keep up to date with Government Guidelines
Holistic Health will continue to keep updated with current legislation and regulations to ensure our own safety and that of clients.
5. Dealing with a suspected case of COVID-19
In the case of a client becoming ill with a suspected case of COVID-19 Shauna Coyle is the dedicated person appointed to respond and co-ordinate the matter.
Symptoms to be on the lookout for:
• A new cough – this can be a dry cough or a productive (bringing up phlegm) cough
• Shortness of breath
• Breathing difficulties
• Fever (a high temperature of 38 degrees Celsius or above on a thermometer)
• Runny nose
• Sore throat
• Loss of taste / smell
• Nausea and diarrhoea
• The designated area for a person to go will be inside the treatment room – no other person will have contact at this time and the therapist will remain a strict 2 metres from the person
• Windows will be opened in the treatment room.
• Arrangements will be made for a speedy and safe removal home.
• A first aid bag will be prepared and ready on site for use in this situation – The first aid bag will include:
• sealed pack of tissues
• plastic bag for disposal
• zip lock bag containing alcohol wipes
• bottle of water
• GP Contact will be made and advice on how to respond / proceed taken from health care professionals.
• NSAI Guidelines will be followed for deep cleaning and preparation for the building to be re-opened
• Contact Tracing log sheet will be provided to health care professionals as required.
• After the event, an incident report form from the health and safety document will be completed and a file prepared outlining event and contact tracing and this will be available as required by contact tracing teams.
6. Cleaning & Disinfection
Cleaning & Decluttering
During the lockdown period when the business was closed a deep clean and a risk assessment on cleaning of necessary items took place. All unnecessary items have been removed or relocated.
Development of Cleaning Procedure & Check-sheet
A risk assessment and cleaning procedure has been developed for the whole building by the landlord, which includes the hallway, stairs, entrance and toilets. Holistic Health has carried out risk assessments and updated cleaning procedures for the clinic rooms, reception and office space.
Shauna Coyle will self-monitor for signs and symptoms of COVID-19 every day. She will take and record her temperature every day.
Shauna Coyle will be vigilant for the wide range of symptoms including most common symptoms.
Should she develop a temperature or symptoms of illness, all appointments will be cancelled, and they will self-isolate for 14 day or seek to obtain COVID-19 testing so they can be cleared of infection and return to work.
Strict hand hygiene and cough etiquette will be adhered to and a mask worn during all appointments.
Outside of the work environment Shauna Coyle will be vigilant in social distancing and hygiene.